The origins of Coe Church of Christ began with the arrival of early settlers in the Central Michigan area in the mid 1800's. Three of the most influential settlers in the area north of the Pine River Settlement (name changed to St. Louis in 1865) were Elias Sias, Elisha Brooks, and William W. Leonard. Historical documents share that these three men were pioneer evangelists in the Restoration Movement in this area. Before church buildings could be built, religious groups met in private homes or in the early school houses. In those days school houses were community centers and early evangelists often traveled from school to school to preach the Gospel. Williams school, also known as District 4 school, was build about 1860 on the NE corner of section 35, Coe twp., and was used for church meetings at the Pleasant Ridge settlement until it burned in 1883. After the fire, church services were again held in private homes until the school was rebuilt. Records show that Elisha Brooks was the first preacher in 1863. William W. Leonard followed and preached 1868 to 1873. R. R. Cook, a local evangelist, led worship at Pleasant Ridge many times.
In 1883, the church reorganized with 54 members. The church was named, Church of Christ at Pleasant Ridge, because Coe wasn't established yet. The actual settlement, which is now Coe, is located on the original 1865 homestead of William W. Leonard. In 1895 the Church of Christ at Pleasant Ridge started plans for constructing a church building. By 1901 the church building was finally finished. At last the congregation has a permanent home, complete with kerosene lamps for light. In 1910, the church was officially incorporated as The Pleasant Ridge Church of Christ at Coe. Sadly, the beautiful white, wooden church with its belfry topped with a tall steeple, served the Coe community for only 12 years before it burned during a severe electrical storm in 1913.
The decision was made to replace the burned wooden church with a stone building to prevent another fire from destroying it. Stone was gathered from the surrounding countryside and construction began immediately. The dedication service for the stone church was held in January 1915. The stone church at Coe was to become a familiar landmark and served the congregation for many years. The faithful old stone church was beginning to show its age. In September of 1979 a groundbreaking ceremony was held to begin work on a newer, much larger, brick church building. This 11,600 square foot building, which would seat 300 was built about 200 feet from the old stone church. On Easter Sunday, April 6, 1980, the congregation at Coe moved into their third church building. A dedication ceremony was held on September 27, 1980 to dedicate the building to the work of the Lord. Several improvements have been made in recent years. After moving into the new church building, the old stone church was torn down. In 1996 the old educational wing was rebuilt to serve as a multipurpose building. In 2005, a pole barn storage unit was erected near the back of the school property. A softball field was installed in 2011 complete with backstop, covered dugouts and an outfield fence. Today, the Coe Church of Christ meets on each first day of the week. Communion is served weekly and taken to home bound and elderly people each Sunday. Coe church actively supports fourteen missions with monthly funding. Coe church supports youth activities and has a Church League softball team. As earthly history slowly fades away behind us, we look toward a bright future of unlimited possibilities for the Kingdom of God here at Coe Church of Christ. For "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." 1 Peter 1:24
Located at 10152 E. Coe Rd. St. Louis, MI 48880
Sunday School 10 am Dinner 5:30 pm Worship Service 11 am Adult Study 6:30 pm Youth Group 7 pm